5% More presents a painless route to change, with results that can last a lifetime. Whether you want to boost your health, wealth, or wisdom, this book reveals a key technique that makes it stick. You may already know that breaking big goals into small chunks makes them easier to achieve, but the trick is in making those chunks large enough to be productive, yet small enough to be sustainable. This book shows you how to bring your goals within reach with only five percent more effort. Five percent is almost unnoticeable in terms of effort—but it accrues quickly, with each step boosting the baseline. Increase sales, decrease your marathon time, boost your savings, or master a new skill.
Section I The Philosophy of 5 Percent More
1 How to Give 5 Percent More--or Less
- An Idea without a Plan Is Just an Idea
- Take Them as Far as They Can See, Then They Will See Further
- High School Hero to College Zero--What Does It Take to Be a Star?
- Making the Grade--And Then Some?
- Law School--Then What?
2 5 Percent More about 5 Percent More
- Personal Accountability for Your Performance
- The Many Applications of 5 Percent More
Section II Give 5 Percent More to Yourself
3 Be 5 Percent More Successful
- Freeze-Pop Fantasies
- A Dream without a Plan Is Just a Dream
- Making Money Doing Nothing
- 5 Percent Days
- Plan to Give 5 Percent More
4 Make 5 Percent More Money
- 5 Percent Mentality
5 Be 5 Percent Smarter
- Team Leader to General Counsel
- What If Your SAT Score Was Higher?
- High School Grad / College Grad Income Gap
- LSAT / GRE
- How Do We Ensure a Successful Child?
6 Be 5 Percent Stronger and Faster
- Elite Athletes and What 5 Percent Means
- Grow, Baby, Grow
- 5 Percent More Steps at a Time
7 Be 5 Percent Healthier
- Small Things Go a Long Way
8 Be 5 Percent Happier
- Expand Your Happiness Horizons
- The Top Doesn't Mean You Will Fall Off--Recognize Your 5 Percent Moments
- Carpe Diem
- "Naked and Afraid"
- Your Tunes, Your Wheels and Your Clothes
Section III Give 5 Percent More to Others
9 Give 5 Percent More to the People You Work With
- Success Is the Direct Result of Your Responsibility to Others
- My Journey from Young Lawyer to Business Owner Was Taking Shape
10 Give 5 Percent More to the People You Work For
- The 5 Percent More Mentality--Where Does It Come From?
- Always Give More Than Expected
11 Make Life 5 Percent More Exciting for Others
- Why Are Kids So Happy?
- It's Contagious--Trust Me!
- Do 5 Percent More Stuff
12 Reading 5 Percent More to Our Children
5 Percent More Ways to Read to Your Child--Even If You Can't
Section IV Give 5 Percent More to Your Business
13 5 Percent More Revenue
- 5 Percent Increases Mean Stable Business
- 5 Percent More at Work
- Smarter Than Albert Einstein and Better Than the Domino Effect!
- I'm Wrong
- Troubled Past to Taking Just One Class
- 5 Percent More Customers
- Just a Little Bit More!
14 5 Percent More Profit = Being 5 Percent More
- Efficient and 5 Percent More Accountable at Work
- One Thing That Is Always Constant Is Change
- Locker Room Story
- Just Two and a Half Doors a Day
- My Dad the Sales Guy
- Yes, You Can Make More Time--At Least 5 Percent More!
15 5 Percent More Perseverance
- A Little Boy Named Billy
- Unreasonable Action
- Unrealistic Goals
- Baby Steps
- It Isn't Always Easy
Section V 5 Percent Compounded
16 Less Is More
- Massive and Immediate Action Doesn't Work
- Too Fast and Too Furious--How Not to Do It!
- Take 5 Percent Less
- More Than 5 Percent More
- 5 Percent More Is Massive Action
- One or Two Last Arguments for Less Is More!
- Rinse Your Cottage Cheese
17 Change 5 Percent of Your Habits
- Stop Lying
- A Little Change Science
- Quit Smoking in 20 Days
18 This Changes Everything--It's a Lot Bigger Than 5 Percent
- No One Will Outwork Me
- Recognize What Level You Are At
- Can't Skip a Level . . . Or Can You?
- Stop Dreaming
- Don't Give Up
19 A Line in the Sand--What If Everyone Did This?
- The Next Step
- Next Level Stuff
Michael Alden is a speaker, author, and founder and CEO of Blue Vase® Marketing, a multi-million dollar Direct Response company capable of creating strategic marketing roadmaps for products and services. Blue Vase has earned the prestigious ranking for three consecutive years by being named to the Inc. Magazine 500|5000 list of the nation's fastest growing private companies.