From simple chords and melodies to exercises designed for players at all levels, Guitar for Dummies, 3ed, continues to provide the information and tips guitarists need to play this versatile instrument across multiple genres and styles--whether readers play acoustic or electric. With updated content, photos, sample songs and the latest advancements in guitars and guitar accessories, plus updated multimedia and video instruction of the basics and play-through for some of the complete pieces found in the book, students and hobbyists of all ages can benefit from the information presented in Guitar For Dummies, 3ed--the greatest value and resource available on the market.
Part I: So You Wanna Play Guitar
• Chapter 1: Guitar Basics
• Chapter 2: Tuning Your Guitar
• Chapter 3: Getting Ready to Play
Part II: Starting to Play: The Basics
• Chapter 4: Getting Started by Strumming Chords
• Chapter 5: Playing Melodies -- Without Reading Music!
• Chapter 6: Adding Some Spice with 7th Chords
Part III: Beyond the Basics: Starting to Sound Cool
• Chapter 7: Playing in Position
• Chapter 8: Doubling Up with Double-Stops
• Chapter 9: Stretching Out: Barre Chords
• Chapter 10: Special Articulation: Making the Guitar Talk
Part IV: A Pile of Styles
• Chapter 11: Let's Rock: Rock Guitar Basics
• Chapter 12: Bluer than Blue: Blues Guitar Basics
• Chapter 13: Around the Campfire: Folk Guitar Basics
• Chapter 14: Maestro, If You Please: Classical Guitar Basics
• Chapter 15: Sunglasses and Berets: Jazz Guitar Basics
Part V: A Guitar of Your Own
• Chapter 16: Shopping for a Guitar
• Chapter 17: Guitar Amps, Effects, Cases, and Accessories
• Chapter 18: Changing Your Strings
• Chapter 19: Guitar Wellness: Basic Maintenance
Part VI: The Part of Tens
• Chapter 20: Ten (Or So) Guitarists You Should Know
• Chapter 21: The Ten Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time
Part VII: Appendixes
• Appendix A: How to Read Music
• Appendix B: 96 Common Chords
• Appendix C: How to Use the DVD
Guitar for Dummies offers a highly interactive DVD component featuring video and audio clips. In addition, students and hobbyists can find updated content and photos, fresh practice lessons and the latest advancements in guitars and guitar accessories.
Mark Phillips is a guitarist, arranger, author and editor with more than 30 years in music publishing. He serves as Director of Music at Cherry Lane Music, where he has edited or arranged the songbooks of artists such as John Denver, Van Halen, Guns N' Roses and Metallica.
Jon Chappell is a multi-style guitarist, arranger and former editor-in-chief of Guitar magazine. Phillips and Chappell are the authors of the bestselling Guitar for Dummies, Guitar Exercises for Dummies, Classical Guitar for Dummies, Rock Guitar for Dummies and Blues Guitar for Dummies.