Introduction to Management in the Hospitality Industry, 10th Edition gives readers the industry know-how and the management skills needed to thrive in all aspects of the field, from food service to lodging to tourism. The Tenth Edition of Introduction to Management in the Hospitality Industry features both historical perspectives and discussions of new trends in a variety of sectors. This book has the most thorough coverage of the hospitality industry, covering foodservice, lodging, and travel and tourism, hospitality careers, and hospitality management. Upon successful completion of this text, readers will have a strong grasp of the many facets of the hospitality industry.
Part 1. Perspectives on careers in hospitality
· Chapter 1. The hospitality industry and you
· Chapter 2. Forces affecting growth and change in the hospitality industry
Part 2. Food service
· Chapter 3. The restaurant business
· Chapter 4. Restaurant operations
· Chapter 5. Restaurant industry organization : chain, independent, or franchise?
· Chapter 6. Competitive forces in food service
· Chapter 7. Issues facing food service
· Chapter 8. On-site food service
Part 3. Lodging
· Chapter 9. Lodging : meeting guest needs
· Chapter 10. Hotel and lodging operations
· Chapter 11. Forces shaping the hotel business
· Chapter 12. Competition in the lodging business
Part 4. Travel and tourism
· Chapter 13. Tourism : front and center
· Chapter 14. Destinations : tourism generators
Part 5. Management in the hospitality industry
· Chapter 15. Management : a new way of thinking
· Chapter 16. Planning in hospitality management
· Chapter 17. Organizing in hospitality management
· Chapter 18. Staffing : human-resources management in hospitality management
· Chapter 19. Control in hospitality management
· Chapter 20. Leadership and directing in hospitality management
Part 6. Hospitality as a service industry
· Chapter 21. The role of service in the hospitality industry
Clayton W. Barrows is Professor of Hospitality Management at the University of New Hampshire.
Tom Powers is Professor Emeritus at the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management at the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada.