With the rise of Mac OS and iOS platforms and their prevalence, especially in the mobile market, there exists a need for a book that illuminates their internal workings. This book provides a detailed exploration of the Mac OS and iOS environments, examining the OS from user mode to kernel mode while focusing on the structure of various components along the way.
Part I: For Power Users
• Darwinism: The Evolution Of OS X
• E Pluribus Unum: Architecture of OS X and IOS
• On The Shoulders of Giants: OS X
• Parts of the Process: Mach-O
• Non Sequitur
• Alone in the Dark
• The Alpha and the Omega - Launched
Part II: The Kernel
• Some Assembly Required
• From the Cradle to the Grave
• The Medium is the Message: Mach Primitives
• Tempus Fugit -- Mach Scheduling
• Commit to Memory
• BS"D -- The BSD Layer
• Something Old, Something New
• FEE, FI-FO, File: File Systems and the VFS
• To B (-Tree) or not to be
• Adhere to Protocol: The Networking Stack
• Modu(Lu)S Operandi -- Kernel Extensions
• Driving Force -- I/O Kit
An in-depth look into Mac OS and iOS kernel, it bridge gap between hardware and software just in time for Mac OS X Lion!
Jonathan Levin is a veteran trainer/consultant on kernel and security related topics like OS X, Linux and Windows. In his 15+ years' experience, he has designed and delivered courses for many leading companies like Microsoft, EMC, Adobe, Checkpoint and others on various subjects including certification for engineers.