Thoroughly revised and updated, this second edition provides the basics of probability and statistical concepts in terms that are easily understood by engineers and engineering students. The basic principles are presented and illustrated through relevant problems to engineering and the physical sciences. The authors firmly believe that the easiest and most effective way for engineers to learn new abstract principles and be able to apply them is through numerous illustrations and applications and the second edition offers fully updated problems, illustrations and applications to reinforce a working knowledge of the concepts and methods.
· Chapter 1 --Role of Probability and Statistics in Engineering
· Chapter 2 -- Fundamentals of Probability Models
· Chapter 3 -- Analytical Models of Random Phenomena
· Chapter 4 -- Functions of Random Variables
· Chapter 5 -- Computer-Based Numerical and Simulation Methods in Probability
· Chapter 6 -- Statistical Inferences from Observational Data
· Chapter 7 -- Determination of Probability Distribution Models
· Chapter 8 -- Regression and Correlation Analyses
· Chapter 9 -- The Bayesian Approach
· Chapter 10 --Elements of Quality Assurance and Acceptance Sampling (Available only online at the Wiley web site)
Civil Engineers and Students and Instructors of Engineering
Alfredo H. Ang is currently Professor Emeritus of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of California, Irvine.