From Impossible To Inevitable :How Hyper-Growth Companies Create Predictable Revenue
EXCLUSIVE TO PAN
This book is a set of five â€˜big ideas' that have tripled companies' growth rates. Zenefits is a Silicon Valley company that is on track to grow from $1 million to $120 million in revenue in two years -- the fastest growing software company ever.Â Whether you want to add a million or a hundred million in extra revenue, Anyone can learn a lot from Zenefits and the other fast growing Silicon Valley companies like them who follow the same template to success.
Preface: Systematizing Success
Lessons from the World's Fastest-Growing Companies
Part I Nail A Niche
1 "Niche" Doesn't Mean Small
- Are You Sure You're Ready to Grow Faster?
- How to Know If You've Nailed A Niche
- Achieve World Domination One Niche at a Time
- The Arc of Attention
2 Signs of Slogging
- Are You a Nice-to-Have?
- Big Companies Suffer, Too
- Case Study: Where Aaron Went Wrong
- Your Current Strength Can Be a Future Weakness
3 How to Nail It
- Where Can You Be a Big Fish in a Small Pond?
- Work through the Niche Matrix
- Case Study: How Avanoo Nailed It
- Jason's 20-Interview Rule
4 Your Pitch
- If You Were a Radio Station, Would Anyone Tune In?
- Elevator Pitches Are Always Frustrating
- They Don't Care about "You": Three Simple Questions
Part II Create Predictable Pipeline
- Introduction: Lead Generation Absolves Many Sins
5 Seeds--Customer Success
- How to Grow Seeds Predictably
- Case Study: How Gild Dropped Monthly Churn from 4% to 1%
- Case Study: Customer Service Excellence at Topcon
6 Nets--Inbound Marketing
- The Forcing Function Your Marketing Leader Needs: A "Lead Commit"
- Corporate Marketing versus Demand Generation
- Case Study: Zenefits from $1 Million to $100 Million in âˆ¼Two Years
- Inbound Marketing: A Four-Point Primer
- Heroic Marketing: When You Have No Money and Little Time
7 Spears--Outbound Prospecting
- Where Outbound Works Best--and Where It Fails
- Outbound Lessons Learned Since Predictable Revenue Was Published
- Case Study: Zenefits' Outbound Lessons
- Case Study: Outbound's Role in Acquia's $100 Million Trajectory
- Case Study: From Zero to $10 Million with Outbound at GuideSpark
- Case Study: How Tapstream Started from Scratch
8 What Executives Miss
- Pipeline Creation Rate: Your #1 Leading Metric
- The 15/85 Rule: Early Adopters and Mainstream Buyers
- Why You're Underestimating Customer Lifetime Value
Part III Make Sales Scalable
9 Learn from Our Mistakes
- Growth Creates More Problems Than It Solves--But They Are Better Problems
- Jason's Top 12 Mistakes in Building Sales Teams
- Advice from the VP Sales behind LinkedIn and EchoSign
10 Specialization: Your #1 Sales Multiplier
- Why Salespeople Shouldn't Prospect
- Case Study: How Clio Restructured Sales in Three Months
- Can You Be Too Small, or Too Big, to Specialize?
- Specialization: Two Common Objections
- Specialization Snapshot at Acquia
11 Sales Leaders
- The #1 Mis-Hire is the VP / Head of Sales
- The Right VP Sales for Your Stage
- Jason's 10 Favorite Interview Questions
12 Hiring Best Practices for Sales
- Simple Hiring Tricks
- When Doing Something New, Start with Two
- The $100 Million HubSpot Sales Machine: Recruiting and Coaching Essentials
- Case Study: How to Cut Down on Wasted Interviewing
13 Scaling the Sales Team
- If You're Churning More Than 10% of Your Salespeople, They Aren't the Problem
- Case Study: Scaling Sales from 2 to 350 Reps at Zenefits
- Jason's Advice to CEOs: Put Nonsales Leaders on Variable Comp Plans, Too
- Truth Equals Money
- Pipeline Deficit Disorder
- Are Your Enterprise Deals Taking Forever?
- Five Key Sales Metrics (with a Twist)
14 For Startups Only
- Every Tech Company Should Offer Services
- What Jason Invests In, and Do You Need to Raise Money to Scale?
- What the Headcount of a 100-Person SaaS Company Looks Like
Part IV Double Your Deal-size
15 Deal Size Math
- What Jason Learned: You Need 50 Million Users to Make Freemium Work
- Small Deals Get You Started, Big Deals Drive Growth
16 Not Too Big, Not Too Small
- When You Can't Turn Small Deals into Big Ones
- If You Have Customers of All Sizes
17 Going Upmarket
- If You Don't Want Salespeople ...
- Add Another Top Pricing Tier
- Pricing Is Always a Pain
- Going Fortune 1000 (by Mark Cranney)
Part V Do The Time
18 Embrace Frustration
- Are You Sure You're Ready for This?
- Everyone Has a Year of Hell
- Comfort Is the Enemy of Growth
- Motivation: How Aaron Reached Escape Velocity
19 Success Isn't a Straight Line
- The Anxiety Economy and Entrepreneur Depression
- Mark Suster's Question: "Should a Person Learn or Earn?"
- When a Straight Line Isn't the Shortest Path to Success
- Change Your World, Not the World
Part VI Embrace Employee Ownership
20 A Reality Check
- Dear Executives (From an Employee)
- Dear Employee (From the Executives)
- P.S.: "Dear Senior Executives, Don't Get Left Behind" (From the CEO and Board)
- Are Your People Renting or Owning?
21 For Executives: Create Functional Ownership
- A Simple Survey
- "No Surprises"
- Functional Ownership
- Case Study: How a Struggling Team Turned into a Self-Managing Success
- To Turn Things Around
22 Taking Ownership to the Next Level
- Financial Ownership
- Move People Around
- The Four Types of Employees
Part VII Define Your Destiny
23 Are You Abdicating Your Opportunity?
- Your Opportunity Is Bigger Than You Realize
- How to Expand Your Opportunity at Work
- You Need Some Humdrum Passions
- Your Company Isn't Your Mommy or Daddy
- Back to Forcing Functions: How to Motivate Yourself to Do Things You Don't Feel Like Doing
- Sales Is a Life Skill
- Sales Is a Multistep Process
24 Combining Money and Meaning
- Meaning Gone Wrong
- What's Your Unique Genius?
- Ignoring Real Life Doesn't Make It Go Away
- Aaron: How the Hell Do You Juggle 12 Kids and Work?
About the Authors