Strive: How Doing The Things Most Uncomfortable Leads to Success
Exclusively distributed by Pan Macmillan
Drawing on his own powerful story of an impoverished immigrant frequently told that he would amount to nothing, Strive describes Amyx's meteoric rise from obscurity to prominence, which led to the hypothesis that what really drives success is not intellect, opportunities or even network but pursuing personal change that's uncomfortable. In this book, Scott Amyx takes readers into his defining life moments and stories from some of the most unlikely individuals who persevered through change to become outrageously successful. He also mines fascinating insights from history and shows what can be gleaned from modern experiments in high performance.
Winning at Life
- Popular Beliefs About Success Are Profoundly Wrong Strive for Real, Lasting Success
2 Are You Passionate Enough?
- Passion Plays
- Passion and Success: What Is the Connection?
- Passion Without Innate Abilities
- Passion Without Knowledge and Experience
- Passion Without Economic Gain
- Artistic Success: Get the Picture?
- Famous by 30 or Bust!
- Invest Your Money for Art School--Get an MBA
3 Practice and Opportunity
- The Practice of Practice
- Youth Sports: Gateway to Success?
- Unequal Success Among the Equally Qualified
- Unequal Opportunity Versus You
- Brazil: Rising Above Race and Class
- Rising Above
4 Are You Special?
- The Idea That Only Exceptional People Become
- Successful Is Wrong
- Flight: Doing It "Wright"
- Power, Money, and Failure
- The Power of Being Nobody Special
- You Can Achieve Greatness, Regardless of Who You Are
5 The Secret Things
- The Idea That Successful People Have Hidden Advantages Is a Lie
- Lucky in Life?
- That Sinking Feeling
- Lucky Lottery Winners?
- The Impact of External Circumstances
- Many Advantages, No Success
- Ursula Burns, Risk Taker
- The Real Hidden Advantage
6 Disrupt Yourself
- Use Self-Disruption to Attain Success
- Disrupting the Body: Building Muscle
- Disrupting the Individual
- Shooting for the Stars
- The Power of O
- Reinventing Your Business
- Disrupting Your Nation
- Starting Successfully
7 Abandoning Your Comfort Zone
- Risk It
- Comfort Zone Versus Twilight Zone
- Risk-Taking Impacts the World
- Journey to America: In Search of Religious
- Risky Business
- Personal Risk, Incredible Growth
- Into the Light
8 When the Going Gets Tough
- Pairing Risk with Perseverance Is Necessary for Your Ultimate Success
- Staying the Path, Eyes Ahead
- Insights Help You Reassess Your Goals
- The Blind Man Riding on the Back of a Blind Tiger
- A Cinderella Story
- Insights Help You Persevere
- Taking the Long View and the Long Road
- Coming from Nowhere, Going Somewhere
- Fail Again and Again
- Into the Heart of Darkness
- Passion Play
9 Verify and Magnify Your Success
- Periodically Check to See If You Are Meeting
- Goals and Stretching Yourself to Achieve Success
- Personal Growth
- Quantification of Outcomes
- Are You Coasting?
- Magnify Your Success
- The Magnifier
- The Platform Effect
- Network Effects
- Now What?
10 Enhance Yourself
- Success Without Self-Care Is Failure
- Hacking the Body--By Any Means?
- Future You
- Busy = Better?
- Good Health--Do You Measure Up?
- Boost Your Brainpower
- Stress, Rest, and Your Brain
- Meditation Can Rewire Your Brain--For Good
- Some Final Words
- Epilogue 185
- Your Personal Journey to Success Will Be Entirely
- Should Success Be Measured Only by Money, Status, and Power?
- The Ethics of Strive
- Striving, for Life
- Striving Together