Kinetics of Materials
|Author||:||Robert W. Balluffi, Samuel M. Allen, W. Craig Carter|
|Remarks||:||Exclusively distributed by Ane Books|
This is a first year graduate level text which integrates a broad range of material on kinetic processes: diffusion, chemical reactions and phase transformations. The text includes a large number of problems many class tested and worked out solutions for many of the problems is available. The book develops fundamental principles of kinetic processes and applies them to technologically relevant phenomena. Thus the context of the basic material which is presented is made evident throughout.
Part I: Motion of Atoms and Molecules by Diffusion
· Irreversible Thermodynamics: Coupled Forces and Fluxes.
· Driving Forces and Fluxes for Diffusion.
· The Diffusion Equation.
· Solutions to the Diffusion Equation.
· Diffusion in Multi-Component Systems.
· Atomic Models for Diffusion.
· Diffusion in Crystals.
· Diffusion along Crystal Imperfections.
· Diffusion in Noncrystalline Materials.
Part II: Motion of Dislocations and Interfaces
· Motion of Dislocations.
· Motion of Crystalline Surfaces.
· Motion of Crystalline Interfaces.
Part III Morphological Evolution Due to Capillary and Applied Mechanical Forces.
· Surface Evolution due to Capillary Forces.
· Coarsening due to Capillary Forces.
· Morphological Evolution, Diffusional Creep and Sintering.
Part IV: Phase Transformations.
· General Features of Phase Transformations.
· Spinodal and Order-Disorder Transformations.
· Growth of Phases in Concentration and Thermal Fields.
· Concurrent Nucleation and Growth.
· Martensitic Transformations.
An excellent reference for the practicing materials scientist as well as a text for students, Kinetics of Materials develop fundamental principles of kinetic processes and applies them to technologically relevant phenomena.