This book intends to strengthen the fundamentals of biometrics and then build an interface of theoretical concepts with real life applications. It is meant to cater to the needs of undergraduate and post graduate students of engineering in computer science, electronics and telecommunication and information technology. It provides a historical background of biometrics followed by comprehensive discussion on processes, advantages and limitations of various unimodal biometric traits such as face, irises, retina, veins, fingerprints, hand gestures, etc.
· Chapter 1 Introduction
· Chapter 2 Handwritten Character Recognition
· Chapter 3 Face Biometrics
· Chapter 4 Retina and Iris Biometrics
· Chapter 5 Vein and Fingerprint Biometrics
· Chapter 6 Biometric Hand Gesture Recognition for Indian Sign Language
· Chapter 7 Privacy Enhancement Using Biometrics
· Chapter 8 Biometric Cryptography and Multimodal Biometrics
· Chapter 10 Biometrics: Scope and Future
· Chapter 11 Image Enhancement Techniques
· Chapter 12 Biometric Standards
· Review Questions
· Further Reading
Dr. G. R. Sinha is a Professor in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering and presently, the Associate Director, Faculty of Engineering and Technology. He has a rich teaching experience spanning over 14 years. His research interests include digital image processing and its applications in biometric security using multiple modalities, forensic science, pattern recognition, early detection of breast cancer, content retrieval of underwater imaging, nano imaging, Neuro‐fuzzy-based vehicle license plate recognition, etc.
Mr. Sandeep B. Patil received his B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering and M.E. in Electronics from Dr. B.A.M.U. Aurangabad, Maharashtra. He is working as an Associate Professor in Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering, Shri Shankaracharya Group of Institutions, Bhilai and has nearly 10 years of teaching experience. He has published and presented more than twenty research papers in various international and national journals and conferences.